Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Baking with Dorie: Brown Sugar Bundt Cake


This post is a day late. Things have been pretty crazy around the house.. I'll spare you the details. But I so wanna hug Chaya for choosing this recipe! I just love it when something that sounds so modest and looks so plain can taste TERRIFIC!! I love this cake!! I know I say this all the time, but I mean it all. In all honestly, this is amongst the best coffee cake that I've made. Even better than the Blueberry Crumb Cake we baked two weeks ago, which was my choice by the way.


The cake is oh-so moist!! I used only all-purpose flour for the cake (didn't have any nut flour) and instead of buttermilk, used low-fat yogurt - which I thought would make my cake somewhat less moist, but am so glad it didn't. And since I have apples at home, I used them to subsitute the pears. And the last addition which I think contributed to the yumminess of this cake is the almond nibs. Perfect!! I ommitted the dried prunes/raisins as I find dried up fruits to be yucky :)


I was also pleased that my cake literally fell off its silicone mould. Of course, I had generously buttered and floured it this time. I was so dissapointed with it the last time it 'ate' my cake. Aren't silicone moulds supposed to omit the 'butter and flour' steps in baking? Ah well...

Again, many thanks to Chaya for choosing this recipe. Visit her blog here for the recipe, taken from Page 179 of Baking: From My Home To Yours, by Dorie Greenspan.  Also check out the BWD Blogroll to see how the rest of the BWD bakers tackled this. By the way, our group has grown in size with two new members since our last bake and I'm simply delighted!! 

If you'd like to join us, send an email to BWD founder Grapefruit at needfulthings at ymail dot com.

8 comments:

  1. So pretty! It's the perfect Bundt. Even though mine came out of the pan easily, it still looked patchy in places.
    And with all of you talking about how wonderful this cake is, I'm really regretting that I didn't slice into it last night. It made my house smell just about wonderful the entire day.
    Thanks for baking with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIGGGGG mistake to wait, dear!! hehehe... well, I'm sure the day-old cake will taste even better!!

    Hope you're having a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! When I first saw this in Dorie's book I was so curious to see how it would turn out. It looks scrumptious! So moist...may I please have a slice?
    I love that the 2 groups make different recipes, it allows me a sneak peek! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks delicious and I have to give it a try! It looks very moist and I would love a slice right now! So happy to find your great blog with its beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie: I just love it when such a simple cake surprises your taste bud with its wonderful taste. And oh.. I check to see what you wonderful TWD bakers bake all the time :) Thanks for dropping by!

    Pam: The cake was very very moist and yes, do yourself a favor and go bake one right now! :) and thanks for dropping by too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really enjoyed this too! I think this is my favorite recipe thus far!! So simple and yet so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. therookiebaker: it was so so so delicious, wasn't it?? I am beginning to think it's my fav recipe so far too ;-) definitely a keeper, this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake turned out wonderful! This was my first Dorie bake and it was delcious...I can't wait to try more recipes!

    ReplyDelete