Thursday, May 2, 2013

I'm into yeasty goods at the moment!


I'm a carbo addict and I can eat bread every day. No kidding! Aaahhhh...all the white stuff ain't necessarily good for you, but when taken in moderation, it should be ok, no? (I'm still working on the meaning of moderation, though hehehe).

These couple of months, I've been baking bread; mostly sweet Asian style buns like these ones, red bean buns, pizza bread and Mexican buns aka rotiboy! I bake them mostly on weeknights, for work/school the next day.

After trying numerous recipes, I found this recipe to be the best; Wonderfully Soft Bread from Mamafami's blog. I've since adapted this recipe for most all the sweet buns that I bake; just add different filliings or topping to this basic recipe.

You can bake them as rolls, or be more adventurous and tie them into knots or braids. The shaping part is fun! Feels like a little child again, fooling around with play-dough!


Here's the recipe, originally posted here and translated by Florence.

*update* I forgot to include that I use my KA stand mixer (with hook attachment) or breadmaker for kneading, thus I don't actually do any kneading! Just dump the ingredients listed from first to last (except butter) and let the machines do their work. Just as the dough comes together, add the butter. If you're using a stand mixer, this process takes about 25 mins. 


Wonderfully Soft Bread

Ingredients:
310g bread flour
60g cake flour
40g Nestle CoffeeMate
115ml skim milk
20g condensed milk
55g castor sugar
3g salt
7g instant yeast
1 egg + 2 egg yolks
40g butter (room temperature)

Egg Glace: 1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tsp water

Method:
1. Sieve flour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
2. Make a well in the middle of flour mixture and add in all the rest of ingredients except butter.
3. Mix till a dough is formed and knead in the butter till you get a smooth dough.
4. Prove dough for 50 minutes or till double in size.
5. Divide dough into 12 portions of 60g each and shape it or wrap in the filling. Prove for another 50 minutes or till double in size.
6. Brush with egg wash and bake at 190C for 15 minutes or till cooked.

Happy breading!



13 comments:

  1. Auntie Tin,

    I love to stop by your blog and drool over all the yummy bakes!
    Please don't take another break ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Haraz..oh you read my blog! hehe...ok, insha Allah will blog on :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tina! I am a reformed carbo addict (but sometimes I suffer a relapse and need rehabilitation) and I love breads, buns, rice, noodles, crispy junk food hah! hah! Love your buns, they are beautifully shaped and baked :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh....you need to tell me where to check in! I need the number of your rehab centre! hehehe. Thanks dear, am always inspired by other bakers like you too!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tina, glad to see you here after the lonnnnggggg silence! and tqs for this bread recipe, me super malas nak uli roti, hope this is a good beginning, sbb the kids loved homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yani!! 1.5 years is a mega loooong time for a break. Try this recipe and just use a stand mixer (I do!) or a breadmaker (I do too!) No need no uli...senang cerita!

      Delete
    2. ok..that was me, Tina commenting using a different account! LOL

      Delete
  5. Salam aunty Tina

    It really looks yummy! Saya tak pandai guna yeast..selalu tak jadi. All kind of yeast mesti kene rendam dulu ke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. salam dear! I always take the short cut, I dump everything into the KA, starting with the first ingredient as listed in the recipe until the last (except butter). then let it work for 7 mins, then add butter and then let it spin again for 17 mins. Then the dough is ready to be proofed.

      Delete
    2. Oic. But i dont have KA hihi. BM adalah tp lamanya nk tgu the dough ready huhu. Nway, thank you! :)

      Delete
    3. can use breadmaker also..no need lama2..25 mins dah ok! insha Allah

      Delete
  6. I'm into yeasty things too lately. .. and I'm so glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete